Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Symptom Scenes

Symptom Scenes App for iPhone
     This was just released within the week.  This is an educational game with some cute graphics.  It's meant to teach the symptoms to watch out for, from Meningitis or Septicemia.
     There are 3 options on the title screen, as you can see to the right.  Learn will help you to learn about the symptoms, so you know what to look for in the game.  It will also give you some information about the diseases.
     About will tell you who made the game.
     The middle button "Play" is of course the one you use to begin the game.
     You will see a room with several tiny people in it.  You tap the people who show symptoms that you learned about in "Learn".  When you select them all, a new room will load.  It continues this trend until either you lose by clicking the wrong people too often or you run out of time.  You will then get a score.  It will tell you how many people you saved and what you could fill with that many people (A car, a mini bus, a bus, etc).
     It's a simple game with a simple purpose.  However, I find that you're learning to memorize the characters more so than the symptoms.  The same characters will always have the same symptoms.  It does also get repetitive.  The artwork could have been better as well.
     I applaud the makers for trying to educate and help people to know what to look for.  I'm just not entirely sure how successful this will be at doing that.  But I hope that it helps at least a few people.  i know that making a successful educational game that is both fun 'and' actually teaches something useful can be challenging.
     In closing I think it's an alright game.  I think it may be better for a younger audience (Grade school age). it's free and does provide good information.  But I don't think many people will want to play the game on a regular basis.  For me, I enjoyed a couple play throughs, but now that I have done so, I'm removing it from my phone.  I just don't feel that I will ever choose to go back and play it again.
Rating: 2.5/5
  • Free
  • Category: Medical
  • Size: 19.7 MB
  • Language: English
  • Seller: Cilein Kearns

No comments:

Post a Comment