Friday, December 14, 2012

MoeAlarmClock -Talking Alarm Clock-

Moe Alarm Clock - Talking Alarm Clock App for iPhone
     For those of you that enjoy 'clock applications' to use when your phone is just sitting on your desk, doing nothing of any importance, this could be a nice application for you.  It really depends on your preference and how picky you are.  As for me... I'm not one for clock apps.  If I were to use one though, you had better believe I'd be very picky about the quality.
     I'm going to start off with the colour scheme of this application.  The bright primary colours make me think of a Kindergarten class and a box of Crayola.  It doesn't seem cute or professional or even well thought out.  I do not like the colour scheme at all.  It almost seems like they just chose completely random colours.
     The artwork: I'm not impressed.  mind you this artwork isn't 'bad'.  I'm glad the artist is working on their style and trying to use their creativity in a fun and possibly new way.  however, when I download an application, I expect a certain amount of 'professionalism'.  This includes the quality of the artwork.  I wouldn't even consider my own artwork to be app quality, and I've sold a lot of art.
     Alright, let's move on to the features.  What does this application do, besides just tell time?
     Well, it is called a 'talking' application.  When you start it up you will be greeted by the maid.  She will refer to you as "Master".  However, this is all spoken in Japanese.  The voice acting is good, but the sound quality is not the best.  You can hear some background static when the audio is playing, and the voice is a bit muffled.  Sometimes you can even hear what sounds like background noise I believe this is on purpose, and supposed to be 'digital sounds', but it just sounds like noise.
     The red "A" in the top right corner is for the audio settings.  You can change the audio to be low, medium or high.  Click the Mario "?" box ripoff icon to make her speak, so you can test that volume.  She says several different phrases.
     It looks like the maid character should be in the bottom left corner, but she's hovering over the text at the top, leaving the bottom corner barren.  It looks like it may have been improperly coded.
     The red clock in the middle is for setting an alarm schedule.  It is in military time.  You can set up to 2 alarms.
     The "T" icon is for posting to Twitter.  It is a means of promoting this application to your Twitter followers.  Now, if I knew the app creator and I wanted to support them as a friend, I would Tweet about their application.  But as someone who downloaded the application and was disappointed by the quality, I shan't be doing that.
     Now I can tell this was probably just made by a person just starting out making applications, or perhaps a group of people, and not by a professional company.  I have to give them respect for putting themselves out there.  However, I can't be bias and have to judge this application the way I would judge any application.
     I don't like the art, or the sound quality.  The concept is good (Over-used, perhaps, but it's popular) and the voice acting is good.  The character animations are single frame animations.  The colour scheme needs to be changed.
     I do like that you can set two alarms instead of one.  However, the clock can not run in the background.  So unless you plan to turn off your lock feature, and let this run all night, I don't see how useful an alarm is going to be.  That is my concern for most alarm clock applications though.  So that's not an issue with just this app.
     If you really like this application from what you see in the screen shots, it 'is' free.  But there are just so many 'cute' alarm clock applications out there that have much higher quality (That are also free)...  I just can't really think of a reason to chose this one over the others.
Rating: 1.8/5
  • Free
  • Category: Entertainment
  • Updated: Jul 07, 2010
  • Version: 1.3
  • Size: 11.2 MB
  • Languages: English, Japanese
  • Seller: Masahiro Kurokawa

No comments:

Post a Comment