Wednesday, July 4, 2012

箱庭ズ

 箱庭ズ App for iPhone
     This is a cute clock app, entirely in 2-D pixel art.  It reminds me of that really old game from the 80s (I forget the name) where the little fellow just walked around his house all day and did what he wanted, and you watched him.
     Now I'll be frank (Pleased to meet you, Frank!), I am in no way a fan of clock applications for devices that have clocks on them already by default.  It seems like a complete waste to me.  However, that being said, I still paid and downloaded this.  Why?  It seemed really interesting to me.
     You can choose between 3 characters.  You can also switch between 3 different rooms.  This is done with the "Room change" and "Character change" buttons at the bottom.
     The characters walk around and you can interact with them, as well as the room itself.  For example, taping the little pink haired fellow can cause him to respond by swishing his hair and posing.  Or it can cause him to play some music on his guitar.  Sometimes the female character falls over from being tapped.  The cat boy enjoys his tea and will sometimes swat you with his sword.
     Here is a list of things in the rooms that can be tapped to see an animation.  I wont list all of them, as I think that part of the fun here is to explore each room yourself.
---------
Traditional Japanese Bedroom:
Wall Scroll
Sliding panel over entrance
Fish bowl
Pink Bedroom:
Window
Tele
Modern Bedroom:
Guitar
Computer
Clock
----------
There is also a large "Talk" button on the lower section of the app, you may have noticed.  When you press this button the character will tell you something.  However, it is via text only, this application has no voices.  Wouldn't it be more fun if it did?  The text is in Japanese, so if you are unable to read this language, it may be a useless feature for you.  Here are some sample phrases (Translated).  I am not sure if the rooms cause them to say different things or not, so I have listed the room in which the phrases were said as well. (I put the names after the character.  I 'believe' these are their names based off of conversations with them in the app)
Female: (Nikki)
"Why not make tea?" (Traditional)
"Good evening" (Pink)
"Please take care of yourself" (Modern)
Fashionable Male: (Yuge)
"Don't succumb to drowsiness" (Modern)
"Nja~(sound), Goodnight!" (Traditional)
Cat Boy: (He speaks differently & is difficult for me to translate) (Mesare)
"Don't swallow when drinking sake, thank you." (Something like that) (Pink)
"Those customers who love themselves, I am Mesare." (Something like that) (Pink)
     Of course it also functions well as a clock (It's primary feature).  You are shown the time of day as well as the day of the week & the date.  There is no alarm function or any way to change the display time (Military VS standard).
     Overall I believe this is a very cute application.  It's fun to fiddle with for a short time, but I do not see myself using it in the future.  As I have said, I'm not much for 'clock apps'.  I wish they would have added an audible feature to this so we could hear the tiny characters speaking.  Also, considering everything other than the speaking is in English, translating the phrases the characters say would have been nice.  It's cheap, only 99 cents.  But I'm a bit torn as to whether it's worth it or not for me... However, if you find yourself often needing or using a digital clock to display the time on your desk or what not, this could be worth it for you.
     If you're not sure as to whether or not you should pay for this version, there "is" a free version you can try out (I did not find out until later).  It features only the samurai cat fellow.  It only has one room available (Traditional).  It is called "箱庭さん".  You can view it in the app store here.
Rating: 4/5
  • $0.99
  • Category: Utilities
  • Size: 0.5 MB
  • Language: English
  • Seller: Kazumiti Suzuki

No comments:

Post a Comment