Monday, August 6, 2012

Age of Ears

Age of Ears App for iPhone
     Have you ever wondered how well you hear?  There is a certain amount of hearing loss that the average person suffers as they age.  This application will test your ears in a way to show how far along you've come in that sense.
     Younger people can hear a range of sounds that older people generally can not.  in the same way that animals such as dogs and cats can hear things people can not.  So this will sound off a lower pitch sound and gradually get higher and higher.  The sooner you lose that sound (Can no longer hear it) the older your ears are.
     You touch the large button in the middle and hold.  When you can no longer hear the tone, you remove your finger from the button and it will give you your relative hearing age.  Did you get a score that's right for your age?  A bit older?  A bit younger?
     Many things in our daily lives can influence how much hearing loss we receive.  If you live a nice quiet lifestyle, chances are your hearing level will be that of a younger person, or right on par.  If you live in the city, have a job in a factory or in the military... It is likely you will have a greater level of hearing loss.  And as such will like score on par or older than your actual age.
     As for me, I have particularly good hearing.  This is likely due to the fact that I am legally blind.  When you lose part of or all of a particular sense, your other senses work over time to make up for it.  I have a great sense of smell, sound, taste and touch.  So naturally I scored below my actual age.  Though I was surprised at how low, to be honest.  but this explains why I can hear people whispering from across the house.  And why my I can sometimes hear my neighbors alarms going off in the morning when they are in a separate house.
     There is a volume setting as well as a reset button.  You may adjust these as needed.  It's a free application so I encourage you to try it out and see how well you score.  I feel that it is always important to know as much about yourself as possible.  After all, you should know yourself better than anyone else does.
     This is a great application.  Simple and to the point.  I enjoyed it.  I think the only way it might be improved is with some medical information provided as a resource. Something that explains what this means and why it scored you as such.  Why we can't hear certain sounds at certain ages and other such information.
Rating: 4.5/5
  • Free
  • Category: Health & Fitness
  • Updated: Apr 21, 2012
  • Version: 1.1.1
  • Size: 3.3 MB
  • Language: English
  • Seller: IKKO OGAWA

No comments:

Post a Comment